Two versions of this painting exist, one at the Louvre in Paris and the second held by the National Gallery in London (Virgin of the Rocks Louvre).Experts have studied both closely and consider the London version to be better than the Louvre version. This piece was painted for the chapel of the Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception, in the church of San Francesco Grande in Milan. It was sold by the church, very likely in 1781, and certainly by 1785, when it was bought by Gavin Hamilton, who took it to England. After passing through various collections, it was bought by the National Gallery in 1880.The London piece receives less glorifications comparing to the Louvre piece, because assistants, perhaps the de Predis brothers probably painted some parts of the work. Some experts think the London piece is a early study of “Virgin of the Rocks”, for portions of the painting are slightly unfinished, the left-hand of the angel being one area. It is also likely that the foreground was intended to be contain a pool similar to that of the Louvre version.The ‘plastic’ look of this painting almost immediately led scholars to consider it a collaboration. Areas to compare are the rocks which seem badly lit, and the flesh of the children which is flat looking.